At the Office of the Service Complaints Ombudsman for the Armed Forces we always aim to deliver a high quality service and ensure every individual that contacts the office is treated fairly and in line with our processes.  If you are ever unhappy with the service we provide and wish to make a complaint you have the following options:


Make an informal complaint

You can contact the staff member you have been dealing with and raise your concerns directly with them. We suggest trying this first as it will give the member of staff a chance to discuss the matter with you and to see if the issue can be resolved informally.


Make a formal complaint

If you do not wish to raise your concerns informally, or feel it would not be appropriate to use the informal process, you can make a formal complaint.

You will need to make your complaint in writing (there is no required form you need to complete and send it to:

FAO Chief of Staff

PO Box 72252



Or alternatively you can email: .

If you send your complaint by email please ensure the subject header is titled Private FAO Chief of Staff

Your complaint will never be handled by the member of staff you are complaining about. Your complaint will be dealt with by a senior member of staff; this will usually be the Chief of Staff, Chief of Operations or the Head of Investigations – depending on who your complaint is about.


Complaints about decisions

You cannot use this process to make a complaint about a decision made by the Ombudsman that relates to an application made to our office.  This is because all decisions are final and binding.

If you are unhappy with a decision it is open to you to make an application for Judicial Review.

You can find out more information in our factsheet about Judicial Review.